Thursday, August 4, 2016

Midnight Panic Stations!

When I woke up yesterday morning, my right shoulder was very stiff, from somewhere on the right side of my neck, all the way down to my elbow. I thought it was just tension, and resolved to power through it.

The events of yesterday at the office proved that my shoulder was correct to have tension in it. 'Nuff said.

By the time I went to bed, though, I'd forgotten all about the sore shoulder.

That is, until 11.20pm, when the pain woke me up. Intense aching in the shoulder, radiating down my right arm, terminating in tingles in my hand. I'm not a big pill-taker, but I got straight up and took a couple of advils.

As I waited for the edge to get knocked off the pain, I tried to find "the spot" where I could rest my arm so that it would be more comfortable. There wasn't one. That's when the panic set in.

I've had a "frozen shoulder" before, and this pain was similar. If it was the onset of frozen shoulder, I knew what was coming ... and all I could think was "Omg, I'm going to lose my new job before I even get started!" The last time I had it, it impacted everything I did, which I did left-handed, for 3 months.

I resolved that if the shoulder was still sore when I saw first light of morning, I would go straight to emergency. First, though, I would give the advil time to work.

It was so bad that, right up until the moment I fell back asleep, well after midnight, I was seriously considering having Paul take me to emergency to see if they could nip it in the bud so that I would at least be in a condition to do the physical work I was so looking forward to.

Then I woke up, just before 5am ... and my shoulder was, I swear, smirking at me. Not a trace of pain, or even stiffness.

What a relief! Hope it stays that way!

Keep your weight in your heels...
Tanya

No comments:

Post a Comment