Friday, December 16, 2016

Another Challenge!

Before I start, here's a photo of "sunrise" as it is at this time of year, occurring at about 11.30am! This is the first peek we get at the sun as it rises above Mt Currie (it sets behind the next ridge over before 2pm, so we get about 2 hours of direct sunlight! Actual daylight lasts from about 7.30am until about 4.30pm):


I've learned a lot over the past couple of weeks. More than I've ever wanted to know. About menopause.

As most of you know, I'm "at a certain age". I have been aware for some time that The Change had started: I've had irritating irregularity, along with night sweats, for a while. (Too much information? Sorry about that ... but perhaps my experience can help someone else in a similar pickle!)

I thought that those would be my companions until the process was complete, but my body had other ideas.

I've since discovered, and have become more-than-I-care-to-be familiar with, several additional side effects of menopause: Fatigue, insomnia, loss of appetite (!), anxiety, and depression.

I've come to the conclusion that the combination of having my body getting stronger/fitter, and being at That Age, triggered an overdrive to "git 'er done", as they say around here!

The most difficult effect to deal with has been the fatigue, which has severely impacted my ability to do my job effectively. Staggering around in an almost-constant state of exhaustion, while labouring at mucking stables and dealing with often-excitable large livestock, isn't fun and, frankly, isn't safe!

So this coming work week, starting tomorrow, will be my last at Riverlands. Let me say that I am ever so grateful to my colleagues for having given me the opportunity to even attempt the job, considering my age and my lack of recent experience "in the field" when I started back in July. I sincerely regret the inconvenience that my departure will cause after a mere 4.5 month sojourn at the barn.

For myself, I am beyond disappointed and frustrated, but have to believe that these things happen for a reason and that perhaps something more suited lies in my future.

We shall see ... in the meantime, perhaps some acupuncture?

Keep your weight in your heels!

Tanya


No comments:

Post a Comment